Sunday, October 19, 2014

My Little Pony: Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks




*Warning: This contains spoilers regarding the ending of Rainbow Rocks. Read at your own risk.*

As you all know, the sequel to Equestria Girls is now out. At first, I wasn't sure what this would be but I kept hearing that it was much better than the first one. Get the review below the break.


I'll start by telling you what I thought about the first one. I thought it was a good movie. I mean, I have seen better, but I don't think it's as bad as some people think. I give it 3/5.

In Rainbow Rocks, a new band called The Dazzlings come to Canterlot High. What the other students don't know is that they were previously banished form Equestria and were called The Sirens. They fed off of ponies' bad emotions before Starswirl the Bearded banished them to another world.

They sing a song that puts everyone but the mane 6, Sunset Shimmer, and Vinyl Scratch (who never takes off her headphones), into a trance that has them competing in a battle of the bands. Our heroes call on Twilight, wh creates a portal to Canterlot High as the other one is closed, to come up wit a spell that will stop The Sirens.

They end up competing in the battle of the bands as The Rainbooms. They make it to the finals along with The Dazzlings, but Trixie trapped them under the stage, all of them but Spike, who was behind an amplifier when Trixie was around. He got someone that wasn't effected by The Sirens (Vinyl Scratch) to let them out.

The Rainbooms then performed on a soundstage provided by Vinyl. Not only do they break The Sirens spell, but they made them tone deaf. Twilight then returns to Equestria, but now she can return anytime, which could leave the door open for a third movie, and communicates with Sunset Shimmer via the magic journal she used to get her attention.

I thought this movie was much better than the first one, which is rare for a sequel. It was funny, had a great story, and a great soundtrack. This was my favorite song (to be replaced by an actual video when one becomes available):



The movie also prominently featured some background characters. One example is Octavia, who had a line. Another example is Vinyl, who had a role in helping The Rainbooms stop The Sirens. Considering her role, I was hoping she would talk, even if it was just one line, but as it turns out, I like her as the silent type. Don't get me wrong. I still want to hear her talk because I want to know what she sounds like, but I can dig silent Vinyl.

Final Score: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment