Monday, December 1, 2014

Top 5 New Kids Shows of 2014


Today, nickandmore.com starts their annual best new show of the year poll, so I thought I'd do a top 5 list on my favorite new shows among the networks they cover. Get it below.

5. 100 Things to Do Before High School



This was technically only a movie this year, with the full series premiering next year. It's not even going to be on Nick and More's poll until next year. If I do this again next year, I'll include this then too unless they're are 5 shows that I think are better, but for now, #5 is Scott Fellows' 100 Things to Do Before High School. 100 Things to Do Before High School, airing on Nickelodeon, follows C.J. Martin and her friends, Fenwick Frazier and Crispo Powers, as they navigate trough middle school with a list of adventures. It's kind of like a bucket list, except they want to finish it before high school. Not before they die, though that would probably be ideal, too. I like Scott Fellows' other shows (except the newer Johnny Tests), so when I heard about this, I knew I had to check this out. I really enjoyed the pilot. It reminded me of Fellows' other shows, especially Ned's Declassified because they both take place in a middle school. Only difference is that Ned's has a survival guide. 100 Things has a bucket list. Overall, i liked this show, and I'm looking forward to the series next year.

4. Clarence



Clarence, airing on Cartoon Network, focuses on the title character, Clarence Wendell, who isn't exactly your average fourth grade boy. He sees the good in everyone and everything and wants to try it all. He values his friends, Jeff Randall and Sumo  Oakley, more than material possessions, and acts the most emotional out of the three. Jeff is the intellectual type, while Sumo is the instinctual type. I realize this does't sound like much of a show, but the writers do a good job with it. I guess once in while, i like a show that doesn't send the characters on big adventures. Don't get me wrong. I don't want every show to be like this, or TV would be boring, but it is a nice break from shows that do send the characters on big adventures.

3. Girl Meets World



One of my favorite shows is Boy Meets World. It aired on ABC from 1993-2000 and followed adolescent Cory Matthews as he faced problems with friends, family, and school. Other characters included his parents, his sister Morgan, his brother Eric, his friends Shawn and Topanga, his classmate Stuart Minkus (who everyone calls Minkus), who only appeared in season one and at the high school graduation, and his neighbor and teacher every year of his school life, Mr. Feeny. Some characters that appeared in later seasons were Shawn's half brother Jack, who roomed with Eric in college, Topanga's friend Angela, who Shawn dated in later seasons, Cory's baby brother Joshua, who was born in 1999, and Rachel, who moved in with Jack and Eric when they needed a new roommate. Cory and Topanga started dating in season 3 after the writers played around with the idea for the first two seasons. Then in the seventh and final season, they got married. In the series finale, which was a clip show, Cory, Topanga, Shawn, Eric, Jakc, and Rachel moved from Philadelphia to New York. Now that I've provided you with background context, I'm ready to talk about Girl Meets World. GMW is a spin off of BMW that airs on Disney Channel. It focuses on Cory and Topanga's daughter, Riley. Topping is now a lawyer and Cory is Riley's history teacher. Other characters include Riley's friends Maya, Farkle (son of Minkus, that's right, Farkle Minkus), and Lucas, and her little brother Auggie. Characters seen from BMW so far are Minkus, Feeny (who had a cameo at the end of the first episode) and Harley (Cory's tormentor in high school). Mr. and Mrs. Matthews, Josh, and Shawn will be in an episode airing on December 5. Maybe we'll learn the whereabouts of Eric, Jack, and Rachel, and why them and Morgan aren't there. Now for my thoughts on the show. GMW isn't as comedic as BMW, but the writers do a good job with it. It's well written, and watching it kind of reminds me of some older family shows. There are still good family shows today (e.g. The Middle, The Goldbergs), but they aren't made quite the same as older shows. They don't have the same feel. This isn't like most live action Disney shows. Give it chance if you haven't.

2. The 7D



The 7D, airing on Disney XD, follows the seven dwarfs as they help Queen Delightful defend the kingdom of Jollywood from evil doers. Often they run into the glooms, Grim and Hildy, who want to take over Jollywood. If you're a traditionalist Disney fan, then you might not like The 7D. The dwarfs    are redesigned, always referred to as The 7D and never dwarfs, and there's no Snow White. But if you're a fan of 90s Warner Bros. cartoons like I am, you'll probably love The 7D. The 7D is executive produced by Tom Ruegger, creator of Tiny Toons and Animanics. Both those shows had plenty of adult jokes, and I caught some in The 7D too. I have a blast watching all his shows and I'm really looking forward to seeing more of the 7D.

1. The Tom and Jerry Show



When I started planning this list, I knew The Tom and Jerry Show, which aired on Cartoon Network, had to be #1. I'm a big fan of Toma and Jerry, and this was the best reboot of anything I ever saw. It follows the same format as the original Tom and Jerry, and instead of limiting them to their suburban household, the writers put them in other settings too. Other settings seen on a regular basis included the duo being the pets of two witch sisters, Tom and Jerry operating a detective agency, and a scientist's lab. The animation is mediocre, but if you can work around that, it will be just like watching the original Hanna-Barbere shorts. The slapstick was toned up from the last reboot, Tom and Jerry Tales, which I liked, but I didn't enjoy the toned down slapstick. Unfortunately, Tom and Jerry is the one show CN doesn't seem interested in beyond quietly airing it. From the start this reboot was doomed. There was very little promotion, then after 6 episodes, CN stopped airing new episodes.   They started again, but by burning off the remaining episodes weekdays at 1 P.M. in July and August. While there's no official word of this, I wouldn't count on a second season, which stinks because it was really well done. CN still airs reruns, so if you like Tom and Jerry, try this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment