Sunday, March 8, 2015

R.I.P. Nick and More

If the owner of Nick and More see this, I hope he doesn't mind me using this.

Yesterday, my favorite news site, nickandmore.com, did a final post saying that it's ending. I decided to write a post about it, mainly to convey a message to the owner, as I will be mentioning the site's Twitter handle when I tweet this so there's a chance he'll see this, but others can read this to hear my thoughts. Get it below the break. And if the owner does see this, my message doesn't start until the final three paragraphs.

I'll start by explaining the site for those that don't know what Nick and More is. The owner of the site can skip this part if he wants. Nick and More's origins date back to March 31, 2003, when a man named Bryan started keeping track of the Nickelodeon TV schedule. He did this because Nick was prone to last minute schedule changes, and still is, and I believe he wanted an accurate record of the schedule. Soon, he started keeping track of other kids networks, and on November 4, 2006, Nick and More launched as a news site covering kids networks. It was originally on the Pro Board forums, but in 2009, it migrated into it's own website. The old Nick and More forums now appear to be down, as I can no longer find it.

After launching as a website, Bryan continued to keep track of the schedules, as well keeping episode lists and covering news for Nickelodeon, Disney Channel, Disney XD, Cartoon Network, and Boomerang. He started covering The Hub when it launched, as well as keeping the schedule for it, but stopped with the schedule keeping when it became Discovery Family, though he still covered the kids shows they aired.

The site underwent a big change in July 2014. The TV Schedules were moved to a spin-off site called tvschedulearchive.com, and the episode lists were moved to kidstvinfo.com. Then in January 2015, the site started doing comments for the first time ever, but dropped it after about a month. Then on March 7, 2015, Bryan wrote a post announcing the end of the site. It will stay up but will no longer be updated. He'll also be growing Kids TV Info into a true archive of kids TV. He says it likely won't have anything new. It will more for the nostalgic crowd. He'll also continue to cover the Nick schedule and may never stop. He'll continue the other networks for now, but doesn't know if it will stick.

Now for the message to Bryan. Anyone else can ignore this but if you want to hear my opinion on the site, then keep going. First, I just want to say thanks. When I found your site three years ago, it was exactly what I was looking for. At the time, I didn't know about a lot of sites that weren't mainstream. Not only that, most of what I watched back then was kids networks, something big name news sites don't touch upon very often. Now, it's probably only half of what I watched, but your site was still very useful. And I'll admit, I was skeptical at first because the Wikipedia article I found your site through removed a source, which was one of your articles, stating it wasn't a reliable source. But when your article was proven correct, I knew I had found a site I can trust.

While I do wish you wouldn't do this, I understand and accept your decision. Clearly, you thought it over, and I know it wasn't easy. And I do know where you're coming from. While my interest in cartoons hasn't changed, my interest in live action kids shows has. I haven't gotten hooked on a new one that wasn't a spin-off or from the creator of another show I like since Lab Rats. But I still watched some. One of the main reasons I'm sad to see your site go is because I won't have the coverage of live action shows. I'm sure I can find something else, but it won't be the same. I'm also going to miss TV schedule changes. Your site was the only place I heard about them. I'll also miss the cartoon coverage, but I had plenty of animation resources already, so that won't be too bad.

Once again, thanks for everything. I wish you the best of luck for the future, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with Kids TV Info. If there's anything you'd like to say to me, leave it in the comments. You can comment through Twitter. Or you can reply to my Tweet about this post, even if it takes more than one tweet. It doesn't matter to me. Thank you, and good luck. For anyone that's still reading this, thank you for putting up with my rambling.

Update: Bryan did see this. Here's his reply to my tweet:


No comments:

Post a Comment