Friday, April 3, 2015

Say Uncle (Steven Universe-Uncle Grandpa Crossover)


*WARNING: This review gives away the ending. Read at your own risk.*

When I first heard Steven Universe would be crossing over with Uncle Grandpa, I had mixed feelings because I have very different opinions on both shows. I like Steven Universe because of the story and characters. Uncle Grandpa, on the other hand,is a different story. The style of humor is to weird for me, and overall, I just think it's stupid. Apparently, it has some Tex Avery influence, which I like seeing anywhere, but Uncle Grandpa doesn't have much else going for it. Overall, I hate it. Normally, I don't do episode reviews because I generally like most episodes of most shows I like, but in this case, I'll make an exception. Get it below.

Our story begins with Steven on the beach trying to make a shield. But all he gets is a bubble. Then Uncle Grandpa shows up and promises to help Steven learn how to make a shield. Then Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl show up and see Uncle Grandpa with Steven. They see him firing at Steven with a bazooka in an attempt to get him to bring up a shield. Instead, he brings up a bubble, which protects him, but he still isn't happy. The gems come to the conclusion that Uncle Grandpa is dangerous, so they try to get Steven away from him. Instead, the two of them run away, leaving the gems to hunt them down.

Steven and Uncle Grandpa then enter the Uncle Grandpa universe, where he introduces Steven to his friends. Meanwhile, the gems are still trying to hunt down Steven and Uncle Grandpa. They sendup in a white room. Pearl overreacts and thins they're going to be stuck there forever, leading her to freak out. She runs all around the room until she trips over Amethyst, who then asks where Steven is. Then Pizza Steve shows up and says that he's Pizza Steven Universe. Amethyst then eats him. This episode was dedicated in his memory.

Garnet decides that she's ready for the episode to end, so she literally breaks the fourth wall, taking them back to Beach City. They then find Steven and Uncle Grandpa and proceed to attack Uncle Grandpa. Steven, attempting to defend Uncle Grandpa, is able touring out a shield. He then convinces the gems not to attack Uncle Grandpa, who then heads on his way.As he leaves, he leaves, he looks at a checklist of people he's visited, with all of the being other Cartoon Network characters (except for SWAT Kats, which was Hanna-Barbera), and his next stop being Clarence.

*END OF STORY*

I was really curious going into this episode because of how different these two shows were. It was officially an episode of Steven Universe, but it also had Uncle Grandpa, so I didn't know what to expect. When this idea is put into execution, it doesn't work. The final result is messy. It made Uncle Grandpa a little more tolerable, but it forced Steven Universe to use a style that wasn't working for it. It just didn't feel right.

So overall, I didn't like this crossover. It's not terrible. If you're a fan of both shows, you might get a kick out of it, but otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it.

Final Score: 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment