Saturday, May 16, 2015

New Muppet Show: My Thoughts


I love The Muppets. I have several of their movies on DVD and VHS as well as the first 3 seasons of The Muppet Show. I'd also have seasons 4 and 5, but they're not on DVD. This week, ABC announced at their upfront that they picked up a new show called The Muppets, which airs Tuesdays this fall. I thought I'd write a post about my thoughts on this. Get them below.

First off, this is going to be different from the original Muppet Show, which was a vaudeville style sketch show. The description from the upfront follows:

"The Muppets return to primetime with a contemporary, documentary-style show. For the first time ever, a series will explore the Muppets’ personal lives and relationships, both at home and at work, as well as romances, breakups, achievements, disappointments, wants and desires. This is a more adult Muppet show, for “kids” of all ages."

So how does this sound to me? While I was hoping for something that more closely resembles The Muppet Show, I really like this concept. Part of me has always wanted to see what their lives are like when they aren't on some epic adventure, and this show promises to do that. The part about it being more adult doesn't really have me worried. Kids are going to be watching it, so there's only so much they can do.

But this won't be completely different. According to this, the Muppets are working on a fictional late night talk show. That opens the door for a variety of sketches, as well as celebrity guests, so it should still feel like the original.

Bill Prady, who developed the series, said that he isn't looking to reboot these characters or radically remake them. He just wants to do what the original did, which was satirize pop culture of the time.

I bet some of you are worried to find out Bill Prady is working on this. If you don't know who that is, he's the co-creator of The Big Bang Theory, which is much more adult then The Muppets will ever be. But he's worked on this sort of thing before. He started his career at the Jim Henson Company, and worked there until 1991, a year after Henson's death. I think he knows what he's doing. And if that's not enough, he won't even be fully involved. He'll still be an executive producer, but he also wants to continue working on The Big Bang Theory, so he enlisted Bob Kushell as how runner.

Finally, ABC released a preview, and after watching it, I think this show will have the same charm as The Muppets usually have. I have it posted below. Enjoy! (Update 3/25/16: Apparently, the video has been made private. I'll leave it here in case it becomes public again. Sorry for the inconvenience.)

No comments:

Post a Comment