Friday, June 12, 2015

Powerpuff Girls Reboot: My Thoughts So Far


It's no secret that I love The Powerpuff Girls. It's my all time favorite Cartoon Network show. There's a reboot coming out and some new details were announced earlier this week. I've talked about my thoughts in the comments section of a few articles and I've also talked about it on my Twitter feed, but I still wanted to write a post about it. Get my thoughts below.

I'll start with the new look since it takes up less space. I actually think the new look, which was designed by Cheyenne Curtis, looks pretty good. It's definitely much better than last year's special. They don't stray too far from the original look while still being something new.

Now I'll get to the part that's been getting far more attention than the look: The VAs. The voice actors for the original girls were never even asked to come back. They got replaced by Amanda Leighton (Blossom), Kristen Li (Bubbles), and Natalie Palamides (Buttercup). You're probably wondering who these people are. I never heard of them before this week either. I had to look up their IMDb pages. Leighton is one of the stars on The Fosters. Li hasn't done much. It looks like she's still trying to break into the business. Her most significant role so far was some additional voices in Monsters University. I couldn't tell you who Palamides is. When I looked through her credits, I saw that she's done nothing but a bunch of stuff I've never heard of. If you want to see if you're familiar with any of her work, go to her IMDb page.

Now just because I never heard of these people doesn't mean I don't think they won't be good. Actually, that gives them a clean slate because I have no idea what to expect from them. I do feel for the original VAs though. They were hurt that they weren't even asked. I don't have anything against the new VAs. I actually found their Twitters and warned them about the trouble some fans might give them for this. I do hope they do good.

There are some people returning. Tom.Kenny said in an interview with The Comic Book Cast that he's returning as the Narrator and Mayor of Townsville. He also said that Roger L. Jackson is returning as Mojo Jojo and Jennifer Hale is returning as Miss Keen but not Princess Morbucks. He doesn't know why the main girls aren't returning but says that the new ones are really good. "They’re a little green," he says, "but they improve each week." Craig McCracken isn't involved in the reboot because he's too busy with Wander Over Yonder, but he has given the series his blessing. You can get the full interview here.

So overall, there's changes that I'm not happy about. But I'm still looking forward to this. I just feel for the original VAs. They were hurt that they were never even asked to come back. There are people that won't be watching this because of the recasting. But I'll still be watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment