Sunday, August 9, 2015

Classic Review: Sailor Moon

This review has no header because it's probably the only way I can do this without being taken down.

If you know me, then you probably know that I don't really watch anime. The reason for that is because I've seen clips and there are features I can appreciate, but nothing is really pulling me in. There is however one that I finally checked out, and that show is called Sailor Moon. It aired in the 1990s and was based on a manga of the same name. I've known about it for a while but never had enough interest to watch it But now I decided to give it a shot. I've seen up to episode 7 and what did I think?

Before I begin, I just want to say that if any part of this doesn't seem researched, either kindly point it out to me or don't mention it at all. Like I said, I've only seen up to episode 7, and I'm watching it in Japanese with English subs because of the changes in the English version, so I could've missed something because it's a little distracting.

This show centers on 14 year old Usagi Tsukino, who is an ordinary girl until a cat named Luna shows up and tells her that she's a chosen warrior. She gets the power to become a soldier called Sailor Moon. She's joined by other Sailor Soldiers, who I haven't seen in the series yet but appear in the header of this post (or so I assume, and in the last one I saw, I did see one of them in the preview for the next one), and they defend the planet against evil villains.

I'll start by saying this show has a bit of a repetitive formula. Maybe this changes as the series goes on, but so far, it's like this: people act weird because of evildoing by Queen Beryl, Usagi transforms into Sailor Moon, she acts like a crybaby when she confronts the villains, a guy name Tuxedo Mask comes in, and then Sailor Moon is able to save the day. This is repetitive, but it doesn't really bother me because this wouldn't be the first show I watch that's like that (Scooby-Doo, Phineas and Ferb).

Each episode opens with narration from Usagi explaining a bit about herself and her being Sailor Moon, which I guess is good for those that haven't seen any episodes before, but it kind of gets annoying after a while. It's basically just telling me stuff I already know over and over again, and that sort of thing just gets annoying after a while.

Speaking of Usagi, she's not without flaws herself. She's a bit of a crybaby (I may be exaggerating a bit on that). She also runs away from the villain whenever she confronts one. She comes through in the end, but it doesn't exactly seem right that she runs every time. I'm not trying to be too hard on her though. At episode 7, she's still new to this and is still trying to get the hang of it, and I can relate to that. I've never had to confront a villain of any kind before, but I'd probably be the same way if I found out I was a chosen warrior or something. And from what I've heard she does get braver and/or smarter (I forget which one) as the series goes on. And she is still a likable protagonist. She does have flaws, but you hope she can work those out.

This show also has some pretty good visuals. The character animation isn't the best I've ever seen (although if it's normally like that in anime, then I wouldn't know that) , but  the action is done pretty well. There are some pretty good visuals that I already liked before watching an episode. The animators do a great job with that.

Let me get a few things straight. I still wouldn't call myself a fan of anime as this is just one show. I don't presently have any interest in checking out any other animes. I still prefer regular cartoons. But I love this show. It does have it's flaws, but it does make up for it. And what I have heard about the show just makes me look forward to see what comes next. There are 200 episodes, so it's going to be a while before I see them all, but I plan on doing it eventually.

Final score: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment