Monday, September 14, 2015

How will The Splat launch?


Nick is apparently launching a new sister network called The Splat. Not much is known about it at this time. News of this surfaced on Friday. It included a website that had links to social media platforms and a video that I'll include below the break. and I initially assumed it was a rebrand of the 90s Are All That, but then yesterday MTV reported that it's a new channel for 1990s Nick shows. It's basically going to be Nick's version of pre-rebrand Boomerang. So far just Nicktoons have been confirmed to be on the channel but I haven't ruled out live action.

I decided to write a post on it where I make a prediction on something that will happen involving this channel. I could talk about whether or not I think this is a good idea or how I think it will do after a few years (though I might do a post on one of those some other time) but today I'm going to talk about how I think it will launch. how I think it will launch. Will it replace an existing channel and if so which one, or will it launch as a standalone channel with little availability?

First a little context. On July 25, TeenNick launched a new programming block called the 90s Are All That. It was announced after a lot of interest in classic Nick shows on the internet. It airs every night from midnight - 4 A.M. So far other than a few special events not much has happened with the block. There has never been much variety with the block, and it's been on the same schedule for months. Then on Friday, news of The Splat surfaced, and it included this video. For some reason they felt the need to put the same thing 3 times in one video.



Now for my prediction. I could be wrong, but I think The Splat will replace TeenNick. I know that sounds a little far fetched, and I thought that too at first, but the more I thought about it the more I became convinced of this so hear me out. There's really not much happening with TeenNick anymore.  Degrassi ended this summer so they don't really original programming anymore. There's TeenNick Top 10, but I don't know how that's doing. Might not be well enough to justify keeping the channel. They aired a drama earlier this year called Open Heart, but that hasn't been on the schedule in months. There's a season 2 on the way, but I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up on Netflix.

There's a couple of other things that lead me to believe this. Last year they rebranded the TeenNick HALO Awards as the Nickelodeon HALO Awards. At the time I thought it was because it airs on Nick first anyway but now I'm not sure. The terms of use page on The Splat's website mentions TeenNick throughout. It's very lengthy, and I'm not going to make you read it all (I didn't read all of it) but if you skim it you might notice mention of TeenNick a few times. I don't know if this means TeenNick is going to be replaced by The Splat but it could be pointing in that direction. TeenNick is definitely involved in this somehow.

This is why I think The Splat will replace TeenNick. I'd hate to see TeenNick go because I still watch it on a regular basis but I wouldn't be surprised if this happens. Do note that it hasn't been confirmed to be like this. I just think this is most likely. It could also be replacing one of a few music channels Viacom owns but like I said several times already TeenNick is more likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment