Saturday, December 12, 2015

Classic Review: My Little Pony Tales


Next in My re-review of pre-G4 My Little Pony generations is My Little Pony Tales, which aired on Disney Channel (back when it was a premium network) for one season in 1992. Episodes of this series were paired with the 1980s MLP series. I said this in the original review and I'll say it again here: People think this was part of G2 but it's actually not. It was on the end of G1 (though by the time this aired the toys were no longer being released in the U.S.). G2 started in 1997, and it's only media adaption was a video game released in 1998 that I won't be reviewing because I haven't played it, and I don't think I know enough about video games to review one anyway. With that said, is this show any good?

This series focuses on seven young ponies, who live in Ponyland. Unlike the original series, Ponyland is a society of anthropomorphic ponies. The ponies, who are sometimes referred to as the 7 Pony Friends, are Starlight, Sweetheart, Melody, Bright Eyes, Patch, Clover, and Bon Bon. The series focuses on their adventures which involve going to school, entering contests, and more. They also show romantic interests in male ponies such as Teddy, Ace, and Lancer.

I'll start by saying that this series isn't as good as the last one. It took away much of what made the original series good and replaced it with more contemporary elements. But it isn't all bad. Unlike other MLP generations, this series has the ponies using more modern technology. I actually like seeing this for a change. I think it was a nice part of the show. The show has a song in every episode. The songs aren't that special, but I don't mind listening to them. The characters are alright. Nothing that memorable but I like them.

Overall, I think this show is alright. It's not as good as the original series but it's decent and I do enjoy watching it.

Final score: 2.75/5

No comments:

Post a Comment