Sunday, February 21, 2016

Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir


When this show first came out, I didn't really care much for it. I didn't see a whole lot of hype for it, nor did I see any clips either (I think someone in the Toonzone forums said they didn't see it advertised until the day before it premiered). So I was surprised to see it blow up in popularity the way it did. Now I rarely go a whole day without seeing anything about this show in my Twitter timeline. I think what finally pushed me to watch it was when it placed second in Nick and More's Best New Show of 2015 poll, placing above shows like Star vs. the Forces of Evil, Harvey Beaks, and We Bare Bears. So is this show all it's hyped up to be, or is it overrated?

Set in Paris, Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir focuses on junior high student Marinette Dupain-Cheng and her classmate Adrien Agreste, who she has a crush on. When evil arises, Marinette becomes a superhero named Ladybug and Adrien becomes Cat Noir. Something I'd like to note is that Cat Noir has a crush on Ladybug but she's not interested. A little ironic if you ask me. The main antagonist is Hawk Moth, who attempts to steal their powers by using akuma, butterflies made of black energy, to turn normal human beings into villains.

I'm not sure if this show is better than Star but it was cute. The show does follow a formula but that's not really a deal breaker for me, otherwise I wouldn't enjoy shows like Scooby-Doo and Phineas and Ferb. I enjoy the stories so that works for me.

I do have some issues with this show though. First, instead of explaining a little backstory, it just starts with regular episodes. I'd like to know how this actually started. There's apparently an origin special lined up, soother's that, but I think it should've started like that. Apparently executives thought starting things right off the bat would hook viewers, and I guess it worked, but this sort of thing can leave people confused.

I'm also not a big fan of the animation. I actually don't mind it but apparently it could've been better. A trailer was made by Toei Animation to convince the developers of the show that it should be done in anime style, but it didn't work. I don't see why because I thought it was much better than the 3D version ended up being. Apparently they'll be making an anime version anyway, so I guess we'll see how that turns out.

Overall, I did enjoy this show. I think it might be a little overhyped, but that's just me. Maybe that will change as I see more episodes (or that origin special).

Final score: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment