Sunday, March 20, 2016

Classic Review: Powerpuff Girls Z

This review has no header because it's probably the only way I can do this without being taken down.

With The Powerpuff Girls reboot coming out in a couple weeks, I decided to look into the anime. Originally, I saw one episode a few years ago and I thought it was weird but I didn't really know what to expect from anime back then. Now that I've seen a few animes, I have a better idea of what to expect, and with the reboot coming, I decided to try it again. So did I find it a lot better this time, or is it still weird?

Powerpuff Girls Z takes place in Tokyo City (or New Townsville in the English version). In it, Professor Utonium's son (yes, he has a son) uses Chemical Z, a new form of the Professor's original substance, Chemical X, to destroy a giant glacier and stop an impending ecological disaster. The impact of Chemical Z causes black and white rays of light to appear over Tokyo City. 3 ordinary girls, Momoko, Miyako, and Kauro, get hit by the white reads to become Hyper Blossom, Rolling Bubbles, and Powered Buttercup. The black rays cause some others to turn to evil, so the Powerpuff Girls Z use their new powers to protect Tokyo City.

I should probably mention the differences between this and the original series. As I mentioned, Professor Utonium has a son, but that's not the only difference. The girls are 8th grade girls and were not created in a lab. They have a pet robot puppy named  Poochi. There are more differences but I don't have time to list them all out.

I found the show to be more enjoyable this time. Maybe before, it was just that I didn't have much of an understanding for anime. I enjoy the stories and the characters. I also think the changes they made here worked fine. Overall, I think this show is pretty good.

Final score: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment