Saturday, April 9, 2016

The Powerpuff Girls (2016)


After almost 2 years, The Powerpuff Girls reboot is finally out. A lot of people were worried it would be awful (I'm guessing Teen Titans Go! might have had something to do with that). I didn't jump to that conclusion and instead waited to actually watch it. As clips for the show started being released, opinion became split. Some thought it looked good and others thought it looked bad. So is it good, or is it another Teen Titans Go!?

If for some reason you don't know what The Powerpuff Girls is, it's about 3 super powered little girls who were created by a man named Professor Utonium, who was trying to make the perfect little girl but accidentally added Chemical Z and created The Powerpuff Girls.

There are some differences between this and the original series. The biggest is probably the voices. The girls' original VAs weren't even asked to come back. I still haven't heard a reason why, though rumor has it that Cartoon Network wanted newer, younger talent for the girls. It's only a rumor, so take this with a grain of salt. I wish they didn't do this, but I don't think the new voices are that bad.

Another difference is the design. The character design for the reboot was done by Cheyenne Curtis, who previously did character design for Star vs. the Forces of Evil. I like the new design. It's not that far off from the original, and it's much better than what was used for Dance Pantsed.

As for the show itself, I thought it was pretty good. It didn't feel that different from the original series, and I liked the humor and animation. As for what else I liked, I think I already covered that. I'm glad that it not only turned out better than Teen Titans Go!, but ended up being something I like, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more.

Final score: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment