Sunday, May 8, 2016

Classic Review: Rugrats Pre-School Daze


Rugrats is a show that brings back memories for me. I remember watching it every night at 7:30 back in 2002/03 (I forget if it was one or both), and it was probably the first show I watched on regular Nick (meaning not Nick Jr.). Today, it's still one of my favorite Nicktoons. In 2003, it got a spin-off called All Grown Up!, which I liked too. But it also had a second spin-off that I don't think as many people are familiar with. It's called Rugrats Pre-School Daze. I never even heard of this show until 2011, and didn't watch it until this month so I could review it. From what little I have heard of it, it isn't that good. But I also liked All Grown Up!, so maybe I'll feel different. Is it actually good, or is it obscure for a reason?

Rugrats Pre-School Daze focused on Angelica and Susie in preschool. It was based on the Rugrats episode Pre-School Daze. The show got commissioned with All Grown Up! in 2001. There was also supposed to be a spin-off about the Carmichaels, but it didn't get past the development stage (mainly because it had them moving ad the creators wanted to keep them on Rugrats). It was announced to be 13 episodes and premiere in late 2002. The next word of this came in a press release for All Grown Up! in September 2002. The order was cut down to 4 episodes. There were also known to be complications involving the planned animation designs.

With the success of All Grown Up! (which was actually supposed to premiere after this show), it was forgotten until May 2005, when Klasky-Csupo announced that they completed the episodes and released them on the Rugrats: Tales From the Crib DVDs. The show then aired in the U.K. July 25 that same year. The show went unaired in the U.S. until November 16, 2008, when Nick started airing one episode Sunday mornings at 6 A.M. The run concluded on December 7. With 4 episodes, it's the shortest lived Nick show ever (which is ironic because it was spun-off from what was at the time the longest running Nicktoon). According to Wikipedia, it aired again for a brief period in 2010, showing all the episodes on weekend mornings, then left again. This information wasn't sourced, and my only source for this information is down, so if anyone can confirm this, I'd appreciate it.

Now for what I actually think of this show. I'll start with the animation. Honestly, I'm not a fan of it at all. It just looks weird to me. I'm also not a fan of Angelica and Susie's new designs. Susie's isn't too bad, but I really don't like Angelica's new look. It looks really weird to me. I'm not sure how else to put it. Apart from that, though, the show actually isn't that bad. It's not great, but I found the episodes to be alright. It had humor I thought was decent, and the stories weren't that bad.

Overall, Rugrats Pre-School Daze isn't great, but it's decent. I do wonder what it would've been like if it had more episodes, but at the same time, I'm not really upset that there aren't more.

Final score: 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment