Monday, June 20, 2016

Over the Garden Wall


Over the Garden Wall is a miniseries that aired on Cartoon Network from November 3-7, 2014. I didn't watch it when it aired. I don't remember why. Then several times, I planned to watch it, but something else would always grab my attention and I would forget about it. Then a few days ago, a friend of mine started writing about it on his DeviantArt and I think that's what pushed me to finally watch it. So is it as good as everyone says it is, or is it highly overrated?

Over the Garden Wall is about two half-brothers named Wirt and Greg, who get lost in a strange forest called the Unknown and try to find their way back home. Along the way, they gat help from a bluebird named Beatrice, who helps them find a woman need Adelaide, who can supposedly help them get back home.

I'll start by talking about the story. I thought the story was pretty interesting. Some pretty unusual things happen on Wirt and Greg's journey. There are also things that I didn't really see coming. I won't go into detail on what, though because I don't want to spoil it. I will say that I've seen some comments saying that it all makes sense on the second viewing. I've only seen it once, so I can't back that up, but I'll keep that in mind if I ever watch it again. Looking back, though, it honestly wouldn't surprise me.

Next, I'll talk about the animation. The animation in this show was really good. There were some pretty good visuals as well. The animators must've put a lot of effort into this because it came out really well. It was definitely cool to see.

Next, I'l talk about the characters. I found myself relating to Wirt the most. We both just want to do what we set out to do without interruptions. Then there's Greg, who was annoying, but still likable. Beatrice was a bit irritable to Wirt and Greg at first, but as the series went on, she warmed up to them. Throughout the series, there were also many characters with smaller roles that at least had some role in the story.

Overall, this was great. It's definitely worth watching again. When will I do that? Nobody knows. But it's definitely something I recommend.

Final score: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment