Thursday, June 9, 2016

Pickle and Peanut


Pickle and Peanut is a show I originally intended to watch when it premiered. It was created by Noah Z. Jones, who previously created Fish Hooks, which I liked, so I decided to give this a shot. But I missed it, and then it started getting a lot of hate, and while Fish Hooks had it's fair share of criticism as well, it wasn't this bad. So I said "Hmm. Maybe there's better things I could be watching." and held this off for months. But I still wanted to review it, so I finally watched a few episodes. Is it as bad as everyone says, or is it actually good?

Pickle and Peanut is about the adventures of 2 unlikely friends. One is a pickle named Pickle and the other is a peanut named Peanut.

I'll start by talking about the animation. The show uses a mix of live action and animated elements. While that style has worked for some shows (e.g. Spongebob), I don't think it worked well here. I'm not a big fan of the animation, and I didn't really like the live action elements either.

Then there's the style of humor, which for me is the worst part of the show. The show uses gross out gags, which could work out if done well, but that's not the case here. My main issue is that there were a few instances where a character threw up on screen. Maybe that wouldn't be so bad in an adult cartoon (although I still probably wouldn't like it because I'm not a fan of that style of humor), but they can do that on a kids show? On most shows, if someone has to throw up, they usually stick they're head in something or run off screen and we don't see it. This show, I think takes it a bit too far. In addition to that, there's also other scenes where the characters were just being disgusting.

Speaking of the characters, that brings me to the next thing I want to talk about. There isn't much to say about the characters except they're all either idiots or jerks. The only one that seems to have any brains is Peanut, and even he's still not that bright. I care so little for these characters, that there was one point I found myself rooting for the episode's antagonist.

Overall, I hate this show. I'll still score it a little higher than a solid 1 because there were still a few moments where I laughed, but I never want to see another episode again. I think I'll just stick to better shows like Steven Universe and Star vs. the Forces of Evil.

Final score: 1.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment