Friday, July 1, 2016

The Teen Titans Go! and Powerpuff Girls Completely Organic Crossover Special


Teen Titans Go! and the new Powerpuff Girls are two reboots that get a lot of hate. I actually like the new Powerpuff Girls. You may recall I gave it a positive review back in April after it's first week of premieres. While it did have it's haters then, a lot of people still thought it was anywhere between okay and good. A lot of those people started hating it after the second week of premieres. Not me. (I probably would've written another post if I had.) I still think it's good. Teen Titans Go!, on the other hand, I do hate. I tried it when it came out, and I gave up on it after 6 episodes. I saw a few episodes since then, and I still didn't like it. The humor and writing ruin it for me. I also don't like how it attacks older fans that criticize it when it could easily just ignore them.

When I heard about this crossover, I wasn't sure what to think. It reminded me of when Steven Universe and Uncle Grandpa crossed over (which I reviewed as well). It was one show I like crossing over with one I don't like. If this was 10 years ago, it would've been a lot cooler, but we're not talking about the original versions, unfortunately. There was Cartoon Network's city era, but I don't remember if they interacted or not. I've heard people say they didn't. So is this actually good? Or is it as bad as anything else from Teen Titans Go?

In this crossover, Mojo Jojo uses a teleportation device to teleport himself to Jump City because it's a place where superheroes don't care about villains. He then wins over Cyborg and Beast Boy, only to trap them, so it's up to the girls, along with Robin, Starfire, and Raven to stop him.

Now to actually get into what I thought of this. I liked the parts that focused on the girls. That much was pretty good. I didn't like the parts that focused on the Titans. It's still what you'd expect from Teen Titans Go. The Titans jumped to the conclusion that the girls wanted a competition to see who the better heroes were when really, they were the only ones that actually cared. Then when the girls brought it up later, the Titans laughed and Raven and Starfire called them immature babies.

I do want to point out that this must've been awkward for Tara Strong to do since she voices Raven on Teen Titans Go! but she was not asked to do the same with Bubbles on the new Powerpuff Girls. I don't think it could've been too bad, though because Raven and Bubbles barely interacted. I guess the writers must've had that in mind, so they kept interaction between them at a minimum. Also, I don't really think Heroes vs. Heroes was false advertising. It just wasn't the girls and Titans battling each other but instead a competition (at least for the Titans) to see who the better heroes were.

Overall, I thought this crossover was okay. I didn't hate it, but I didn't really like it either. I probably won't be watching it again, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Final score: 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment