Sunday, January 15, 2017

Milo Murphy's Law

Image Source: Nerdist
Milo Murphy's Law is a new show from Phineas and Ferb creators Dan Povenmire and Jeff "Swampy" Marsh. There was a time when I was really into Phineas and Ferb, and I still like it, so I was definitely interested in checking this out. Initially, I planned to review this in November, but then some other stuff got my attention, so I pushed this back in order to make sure I'd have something for every month. At the time, I thought that might be beneficial because I thought I'd get more episodes to work with, but there hasn't been any new episodes since. But I think I still got enough to work with.

Milo Murphy's Law is about 13 year old Milo Murphy, who is a descendant of Edward A .Murphy Jr., the namesake of Murphy's law, which states that anything that can go wrong will go wrong. He was born with Extreme Hereditary Murphy's Law condition (EHML), which causes something to go wrong everywhere he goes. Despite this, he remains optimistic. He also has 2 best friends named Zack and Melissa.

I'll start with the humor. The humor is a reason why Phineas and Ferb was so popular and I think Milo Murphy's Law does just as well at it as PnF did. I recall Dan or Swampy (can't remember which one exactly) saying it was their style of humor, so I was expecting this.

The episodes are pretty good, too. The show doesn't rely on a formula like Phineas and Ferb did, so the episodes are a little different from one another. The formula on Phineas and Ferb didn't bother  me so much since it had other stuff going for it and it did try to change it up a bit, but I do like how Milo Murphy's law isn't going down that route. There's also going to be an ongoing story. I don't think it's started yet, but it does sound like it could be interesting.

Milo is voiced by Weird Al Yankovic, which had me pretty surprised when I heard about it. I know he's done voiceover work before, but I thought he would be too busy to take on a role this big. Milo is the youngest character he's voiced yet. I was wondering how he'd be able to play a 13 year old, but I think he pulled it off pretty well.

I feel I should also probably talk about the songs. Like Phineas and Ferb, Milo Murphy's Law has songs. The difference, though, is that it doesn't seem to focus as much on that, as there are already more episodes of Milo Murphy's Law without songs than Phineas and Ferb had in 4 seasons. But the songs it does have are pretty good. The theme song is worth mentioning, too. It was sung by Weird Al, who did a good job with it. I actually didn't like the theme song the first time I heard it, but after listening to it a few more times, it grew on me.

Overall, this is a great show. I' definitely looking forward to seeing more episodes. As I said before, it unfortunately hasn't been new for a while. Apparently, Disney is saving episodes for a watch block early this year, so hopefully it's new soon.

Final score: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment