Monday, February 20, 2017

The Lion Guard

Image Source: ComingSoon.net
A movie I've always liked is The Lion King. It's been a while since I've seen The Lion King 2 that I'm not going to make an opinion on it, but I also liked The Lion King 1 1/2. I also enjoyed the first Lion King based TV series, Timon & Pumbaa (even though I only saw some episodes when Disney Junior aired in in 2012). When The Lion Guard was first announced, I was initially going to pass on it since it was a Disney Junior show. Nothing against Disney Junior, but I kind of outgrew it back when it was Playhouse Disney. Though I haven't heard much bad things about their shows (I actually gave Sofia the First a favorable review once, though I'm honestly only interested enough to watch sometimes).

Then in summer 2015, I saw a preview that I actually thought pretty good. Suddenly, it became the first upcoming preschool show I was interested in in years (unless you count The 7D before it was announced for Disney XD instead). I saw the TV movie that started the series, then fell behind for a while due to laziness. But I'm caught up now. So is this show as good as the preview made it look?
The Lion Guard focuses on Kion, who's the son of Simba and Nala as well as the younger brother of Kiara. As the second born to the King of the Pride Lands, Kion becomes the next leader of the Lion Guard, a team of animals who defend the Pride Lands and defend the Circle of Life. Normally, the Lion Guard is made up of lions, but Kion enlisted his friends, who are different animals. There's Bunga (a honey badger), Beshte (a hippopotamus), Fuli (a cheetah), and Ono (an egret).

I'll start by talking about the animation. The animation is done by Mercury Filmworks, who have worked on a lot of other Disney shows and Canadian cartoons (and apparently, The Powerpuff Girls Movie). I think Mercury Filmworks does a great job with the animation on The Lion Guard. In fact, out of all the Mercury Filmworks shows I've seen, I think The Lion Guard is the best in terms of animation.

I really enjoy the episodes. I enjoy the adventures The Lion Guard goes on and I like the writing. I also like the characters as well.

Overall, I really like this show. Unlike Sofia, I'll probably watch this more regularly.

Final score: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment